Nichole asked in Cars & TransportationRail · 7 months ago

Amtrak roomette plus coach question.?

My family (myself, husband and 5year old) is planning our first ever Amtrak trip from Portland to Los Angeles. I know that we will not be able to book 1 roomette for the 3 of us. My question is if I book a roomette for myself and my daughter and a coach seat for my husband, will he be able to join us in the roomette overnight? I figured that we would spend most of our daytime in the lounge/observation areas but it would be nice to have a little sleeping privacy for sleeping. I am 5ft and quite petite, so I don t take up much sleeping space.

Thanks for your help.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

I've been on Amtrak with my wife three times for trips where we had a roomette. The upper berth is only 6 feet long, so as my wife is barely 5 feet tall, she's up there, and I'm on the lower bunk. In my view, there's no safe way that any child could be fitted into a roomette that already has two adults in it.

The stewards who work the sleeping cars are not easy to fool, so I would not advise trying. If you get just the one roomette, then one adult and one child in it would be all that it can handle.

You might want to look at the next size up in on board sleeping accomodations.

• 7 months ago

Amtrak does offer a family bedreoom that has beds for two adults and two children. You might want to enquire about that.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You are allowed to invite anyone you want into your room

• Robert
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

I can't imagine that any conductor would have a problem with him "visiting", They do tent to restrict coach passengers from going to the sleeping cars (at least on eastern routes) but I'm betting that if you ask nicely he will be allowed back to see you to your roomette

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Technically no. If they catch him going into the roomette and ask for his ticket, he could face fines, be kicked off at the next stop, or just be warned. It's entirely up to you if you want to risk it. Some trains might have a 'by the book' employee, while others might not even look twice.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.