promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 year ago

I took first semester courses in Java and C++, got A's in both - which should I go higher in?

So I am not a CS major I am a chemistry major but wanting to just take some CS classes. I took C++ and Java and did very well in both. There are advanced classes in each and I have heard that you really only need to branch off in one of them because although the language is different the concepts/logic/algorithms are the same

so which is better to know? I've heard C++ is 'harder' but can be used for more things, but Java is more popular

Update:

actually, the technical name of the java class is "introduction to programming" which is the first 7 chapters of "Starting out with Java" by Tony Gaddis. The other class is called Introduction to C++ and is the first 7 chapters of Starting out with C++ by Tony Gaddis. The next advanced class is the next 6 or so chapters

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

c++ imo, but both will get you far

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

They are not completely different, Java and C++ both go into handling memory and have the same concepts as OOP languages. An algorithm is an algorithm, it will work on any language, it's just the libraries you have access to and the depth and control of the language and pointers you could say is any different.

You need to figure out what you want to do, and then from there you will be able to ask your professor where you should study, since both languages have different applications.

• 1 year ago

It depends on what you'd like to use it for. C++ is almost exclusively used to make video games, so if you're interested in game programming, then that's the way to go.

Java is more widely used in industry, as it is used in the financial industry and also is the main programming language for all Android devices.

As a chemistry major, the most useful language to you right now would probably be R, a statistical analysis language, or something functional, like Haskell. Python would also suit you well. It's very popular right now in many, many industries. However, none of those seem to be options.

Honestly, it's pretty split. My advice would be to choose based on which professor you think you'll like better or which projects sound more interesting.

Lv 7
    1 year ago

Most most all universities don't offer an entire semester length course in Java and C++. They expect students to learn programming on their own time.

Just curious. What CS program is this?

But to answer your question, Swift or Python would also be good to learn.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

well if you know Java you can become an android developer. or learn swift. or python and become a hacker. idk man it's your life

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.