Cherry asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 year ago

Japanese highschoolers asking me for a picture?

So I am visiting Kyoto from Austalia with my mum and I went past a bunch of school boys and one asked me for a picture. I felt quite flattered and posed with him and he shook my hand and other boys have also said hello to me. Japanese people are so nice but is it normal to be asked for photos?

1 year ago

Asian men look like janitors, just like black women look like butchers.

• 1 year ago

Normal ....Japan is sill 98 % + Japanese .

They do it for fun .

• james
    1 year ago

Normal For Japanese business class male highschoolers. If you are female. Goes in there I met book. Japanese are shutter bugs. But Japanese men collect photos of females. White is best. You have not noticed they go to beach's take photos of females with out them knowing it to add to there books. It has some kind of status attached to it to have a photo book with many photos of fouren women in it. Holding hands or standing together is best. Looks like they know you.

• 1 year ago

No, it is not normal. Are you a female?

I think you are so cute, or so beautiful. That's why he and they did that, I think definitely. I know since I'm a Japanese. Although it is said that Japanese people are shy, Japanese too like beautiful girls. Actually, a Japanese who is alone is shy, but Japanese who are with their friends are not shy.

• Cherry1 year agoReport

Yeah, haha! Thank you for your info ❤✨

• 1 year ago

It's not typical, but not unheard of either.

• 1 year ago

Japanese people still sometimes see foreigners as an oddity, which given how homogeneous and insular Japan is doesn't strike me as strange. I've heard people liken it to seeing animals at the zoo.

When I went there, I had some people asking if I was the guy from Harry Potter since I had dark hair and glasses. You kind of just have to laugh and smile about it.

So if you are someone who is clearly not Japanese in Japan, yes, it's kind of "normal" for people to notice and occasionally even ask you for photos.

• 1 year ago

The society as a whole is very insurlar and withdrawn. You can walk through Tokyo and no one looks at anyone else. I was there with some work associates however, and one of them had hair down to his shoulders. Some Japanese kids decided he was Bono or some other star and they all got his autograph.

• Cherry1 year agoReport

Haha, thats really funny! Thank-you

• 1 year ago

Maybe they did it only for fun

• Cherry1 year agoReport

Yeah just thought it was odd