Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 year ago

Why do men always tell women to smile?

sometimes men say it to random women on the street. im seriously wondering why though? it seems like men hate to see women with a straight face or a grumpy face. im just wondering cuz i would never tell a man to smile, i just dont see whats the big deal in it

• Foofa
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a power thing meant to make you feel small.

• Joseph
    1 year ago

I just like to see them at least look happy. I mean who enjoys ' resting birch face ' ?

• 1 year ago

I don't if it's men.

It just seems something culturally transmitted among many peoples in the world...

1 year ago

Aw you just know jerks.

• 1 year ago

When some stranger says smile, I tell them I will when I feel like it, please do not tell me what I should be doing, because I am doing exactly as I should be.

• 1 year ago

They are lame chauvinist! The next guy who tells me to smile when I owe him nothing is going to be told " Bite your tongue." Only weird guys act like that they should really mind their own business the woman could be going through a lot of turmoil, women don't have to fake smiles or sex for men!!!

• Bill
    1 year ago

Because you look more attractive when you smile and we like it when women are happy.

Edit: Why did that get thumbs down? lol

Is it wrong to think a smile makes someone more attractive or something?

• Bill
      1 year agoReport

The next time a man requests you smile when you're in a bad mood try to do it and see if it makes you feel slightly better.

• 1 year ago

just being nice i guess

• Q
    1 year ago

Cultural expectation that women should change to be pleasant to people. In my experience, it usually comes from male strangers on the street. They appear to think they are being nice.

My favorite example of this:

Republican presidential candidate Carly Fiorina hit back at her detractors during an October 2015 primary debate. Asked by the moderators what her biggest weakness was, she replied: "Gee, after the last debate, I was told that I didn t smile enough."

1 year ago

Maybe they are just concerned.

• men want women to be happy but women want men to be miserable