Buying a car and driving it uninsured and no plate in new york state TEMPORARY!!?

My name is jon and I'm 23 years old and I live in new york the bronx

Tommoro im suppose to be buying a car from someone upstate

And

I'm extremely concerned because it's my first car that I am buying

And I have enough money to purchase the vehicle, pay for the gas toll etc

But dont have enough money to pay for the car insuranc

At least till next week

And I know that the only way how I can get a temporary license plate is buying showing proof that my car is insured

But unfortunately I cannot afford insurance as of right now

I just want to know will I get in trouble? like getting my license revoked and my car taken away if the law catches me driving without a plate or finding out my vehicle not being insured only for one day after purchasing my car ?

Or will they let me off with a warning let me take my car home and give me time to insure my vehicle.

Please. Let me know ASAP !!

• 1 year ago

Better wait. If your are stopped your car will be towed and impounded and you will have an expensive bill to pay for that plus a ticket that can lead to a high fine.

• zipper
    1 year ago

ILLEGAL: and they will seize the car or impound it, and your butt could be in JAIL!

• 1 year ago

Nope, not a good idea. In fact it's a really bad idea, especially since cops in New York all have plate-scanning software in their vehicles.

The law is simple: You've got to have valid insurance and plates on the vehicle if you drive on public roads. No exceptions, no excuses.

• lucy
    1 year ago

If, you can't afford insurance till next week, then DON'T buy the car till next week and you get your insurance.

Look, with no plates, then you will stand out and most likely a cop will stop you. They can impound the car, till you title the car into your name, have proof of insurance and buy plates. So, that would be a minimum of a week or more. So they charge you for the tow to impound and (daily) storage charges which can add up.

Then they is the possibility of having an accident, thus with no insurance, then can you afford to pay for any damages that you cause.

IF, you can't afford insurance till next week, then my guess the tow/storage will be MORE than buying your insurance. So, if the seller is willing to keep it at their place, or you can TOW it home, thus no plates is needed.

1 week, wait 1 week to avoid any surprises or more costs..

• May
    1 year ago

You are asking for trouble.

Please forget the car until you have enough money to insure it and make it road legal.

In the meantime, please stay in school and pay attention in English class, concentrate on grammar and spelling.

• Jonathan1 year agoReport

Lol Because for some reason you having perfect grammar or spelling somehow makes you special

Listen you **** the same just like the rest of us and is gonna die just like the rest of us

Shut the hell up with that perfect grammar nonsense and take that sh## somewhere else

Thanks for the advise

• 1 year ago

If you are currently not insured, you cannot drive this car until you are insured.

Accidents are called accidents because they don't occur "on purpose". Just imagine how ruined your life will be if you cause an accident. What if someone is badly injured ...

• 1 year ago

The temporary license should come with insurance. Ask them where you buy the temporary license.

Thing is a temp. license is for moving a vehicle from Point A to Point B straight as the Crow flies.AND THAT IS IT. You do not get to drive around on a temp license. It is as direct a drive home as possible. Then it is parked IN YOUR YARD.

INSURANCE MUST BE ON FIRST. There is no LATER. IF THE COP CATCHES YOU, they IMPOUND THE CAR IN THEIR DAY LOT AND YOU LOSE YOUR LICENSE AND YOU ARE FINED FOR DRIVING WITHOUT INSURANCE.

Never count on a WARNING. Some cops still have not used their Taser guns yet and will use them JUST BECAUSE THEY WANT TO.

YOU CANNOT PLEAD ignorance because you were suppose to know all this stuff first. This is where the rookie cops get their big Brownie Points busting you.

Getting the car out of impound is costly. Tow truck charges and daily impound charges. It is a very expensive parking lot...and you car could get busted into. Not the cop shop's fault. You take the hit. Plus you must get it either towed out or insured and plated to drive it out.

Not something you gamble with and I live in a good area and this stuff happens.

• Scott
    1 year ago

If you get caught, they could impound your vehicle. Where I live it's a 30 day impound. That will add up fast. I shouldn't need to tell you the consequences of being in a collision with no insurance.

• 1 year ago

Of course you will get in trouble. If you are very, very lucky, then all that will happen is that you will lose your license and your car and be fined several hundred dollars. If you are not that lucky, then you might wind up in jail or have an accident and have to pay thousands or even millions of dollars to whomever you hurt. If you can't afford insurance, then you certainly can't afford to drive without it.

• Ron
    1 year ago

Okay dumbass, you can stop spamming the question. I gave you a perfectly valid answer already. You CANNOT legally drive any vehicle on any public roadway without valid insurance. You cannot drive without a valid tag, temporary or not. This isn't rocket science

• Ron
      1 year agoReport

And on a side note, page 23 of the drivers handbook that one studies to get a permit, states the requirements