Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 year ago

Should I tell my aunt that my 16 year old cousin is cheating on high school tests?

My cousin has autism with an IEP, so she’s allowed extended test time as well as being in an isolated room away from her peers. I found out that she copies down all the test questions to take them home. She uses an app that tells her the answers (or Google). Her parents seem proud that she appears to be improving in her academics. I know it’s not the reality, and she’d be failing 2 specific courses if it weren’t for cheating. The thing is, she’s one of those students that are a teacher’s favourite and you simply cannot imagine her cheating. But she told the truth to me at a family gathering and I saw her doing it too.

• Janet
    1 year ago

Ouch.

She will only get by cheating for so long. Once she is done high school, it will no longer work for her.

Since her parents will not welcome the news, and may not even believe it .... I wouldn't try to tell them.

Life has a way of balancing out, and she will fae the natural consequences of trying to cheat at some point, when it no longer works for her.

Bosses do not have "teacher's favorites" and university professors are too busy trying to flunk first-year students out (the school takes in too many students to go through all 4 years, so only the brightest survive).

• Tepee
    1 year ago

What do you have to gain by being a rat?

1 year ago

i would

• 1 year ago

you should help them learn take time to be with them that way when it come to it she won't have to cheat like she is see if you could become her tutor or just help her out.

• 1 year ago

You won't be believed.

The thing is, the test time is done under supervision (at least it usually is). It's always a good idea to get a copy of the test, and check it at home (I wasn't autistic, but I usually got a copy of the test after the exams and used it to find where I was wrong). But it's what was completed under supervision that gets the marks.

So, give her the benefit of the doubt -- if she is cheating as you say, it will eventually come to light, and she won't benefit from it.

1 year ago

MYOB. Do not interfere because she will eventually get caught. It has nothing to do with you. If you intervene it will reflect badly on you and you may be shut off from that branch of your family.

1 year ago

You can tell her parents. It will catch up to her, sooner or later, because she will not progress far.