POLL: if 2 cops attend a Marine funeral do they have to salute? Isn't that just for military personell?

My grandpa passed away nov. 30th,2018. He was a WWII US Marine who served as a private first class in the pacific. After the war he became a gp,got married to the love of his life.Had 3 kids,one of which is my dad. At his funeral I noticed a lot of Marines in their dress blues,american flags,bagpiper playing... show more My grandpa passed away nov. 30th,2018. He was a WWII US Marine who served as a private first class in the pacific. After the war he became a gp,got married to the love of his life.Had 3 kids,one of which is my dad. At his funeral I noticed a lot of Marines in their dress blues,american flags,bagpiper playing amazing grace. As the casket was passing in front of a few police cars I noticed that the cops stood at attention next to their car and saluted. They didn't even know my grandpa. I felt overwhelmed.
Update: they literally pulled over,they were there by chance,they pulled over,got out of their cars,stood at attention and saluted