A Conservative here recently told me "The NRA doesn't write laws" - I almost shot milk out of my nose. Isn't that as funny as saying banks?

...and insurance companies don't write laws? They hand them to Congress members and expect them passed work for word in case you don't know that.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

"Model bills" is the term used to describe bills which are written by corporations, handed to Congressmen, and passed into law nearly verbatim. The practice has existed for as long as lobbyists existed, but it has become MUCH more common since Citizens United.

We elect our officials to write laws, not to accept campaign donations in exchange for being a glorified courier.

https://publicintegrity.org/state-politics/copy-pa...

• ...Show all comments
    • bil
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

Imagine a court that does not like free speech. These 'judicial' Democrats could uphold Democrat 'laws' banning speech.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

Yeah that was naive if them

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Special interests can lobby for laws and what they want in laws, but laws themselves are not written or passed by special interests, they are written and passed by our political governing bodies. The right to bear arms as guaranteed by the second amendment did not come from the NRA. Anyone who thinks that has clearly been snorting too much "milk"

• 10 months ago

How can the NRA which spends 1.3% as much in elections as the National Teachers Union be vastly more powerful than they according to your statement.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

I can only assume they don't know how lobbyists work.

• bil
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

Obamacare showed how Democrat insurance companies can loot the wallets of Americans. Of course it took Democrat committee 'chairs' to bend over.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

The NRA doesn't write laws. They try to stop the passage of laws.

You leftists already ALWAYS say that the 2nd amendment has been too loosely applied and that MORE weapons should be outlawed. You write laws to outlaws guns, not to make them legal. DUHHHH. IT is already assumed that they are legal UNLESS there is a law against them. DUHHHH.

Now I will grant that the NRA does give advice to stop laws from being written, but write laws?? Not really. Maybe you have some minor examples, but NO I am not buying that they write laws as a generality.

You can already make the argument that they have too much power in their ability to stop laws from being written. You don't need to pretend we right laws to make guns legal, when that is clearly not the case.

And therein lies my problem with YOU. You should already be able to make good arguments without resorting to lying, but you can't seem to help yourself.

BUT, if you are claiming that you want to get corporate lobbyists out of Washington and STOP them from writing laws, then I agree.

Corporate lobbyists generally lobby for MORE regulations, not less. They want to increase the barrier of entry to lower competition. Same reason why taxi cab unions want to write laws against Uber and Lyft. I am against that. Are you really against that?

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

They don’t pass laws. Does planned parenthood pass laws?

• Smoking Joe
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

I didn't say pass laws.

• 10 months ago

The for profit prison system writes a lot of laws, anyone with a few hundred thousand to spare can write a law.

Stand Your Ground was written by the NRA

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Be honest. That wasn't milk. 😆

• 10 months ago

Many Congress members present laws written by lobbyists. It is stupid not to think that any powerful lobby does not at least help shape the law.

• ...Show all comments
    • marsel_duchamp
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

I said shape the law. Blocking is shaping the law. Your argument is an example of lunatic literalism. That since they proposed no new legislation they have no effect on the laws.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.