What to do if you depend on medication but can’t get an appointment with the doc?

After cancer and a thyroidectomy, I depend on thyroid medication, well to live. If I go a couple of weeks without the hormone I would go into coma. I moved to Chicago and brought a few boxes of meds with me from Brazil where you don’t need a prescription - i don’t think it’s legal to bring in meds to the US without... show more After cancer and a thyroidectomy, I depend on thyroid medication, well to live. If I go a couple of weeks without the hormone I would go into coma. I moved to Chicago and brought a few boxes of meds with me from Brazil where you don’t need a prescription - i don’t think it’s legal to bring in meds to the US without a prescription but i didn’t have a choice. I set up an apt with a primary care as soon as I got here and I got the referral I needed for an endocrinologist since the primary care couldn’t interpret my blood test results or prescribe me the meds I need. But I can’t get an appointment! I’ve been calling dozens of doctors in the Chicago area both that accept my insurance and who don’t since February and the only appointment I found isn’t until July! I obviously can’t go until July without my meds! Last time I saw a dr in Brazil was in November and my meds are running out in 10 days. I already am feeling bad from taking less pills in the week for the last 2 weeks. What do people in the US do in this situation? I almost cried on the phone to some of the secretaries but nobody cared at all. In Brazil there is both public and private healthcare so if you can’t get an appointment quickly, you just pay and see a doc the same day or the next day. And pharmacies can’t deny certain medications people can die without. How does the system work in the US? I’m panicking that I will have to go all the way back to Brazil just to smuggle medication into the country. Pls help!