Abbi asked in TravelCruise Travel · 8 months ago

I am going on a out of country cruise this summer and was wondering how to text my mom while on it. What is nationwide text and talk?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

wait until you get home. your on vacation , give your Mom a rest.

• 7 months ago

All cruise ships have wifi, but it can be pricey. It's $!5 a day on Royal Caribean, and that's one of the cheaper ones. Just make sure you keep your data and roaming turned off, and then turn wifi on to prevent nasty surprises.

Most ports have wifi, either free, or for under $10. The crew always know where free wifi is in ports, so you can ask them.

• 7 months ago

Call your phone company and ask them what to do where you are going.

• 8 months ago

When at sea on the ship you'll have to use the ship's internet connection. And they'll charge you an arm and a leg for that connection.

So what I do, and I'm a seasoned cruiser, is wait until the ship pulls into port. Typically there is something there that you can connect to. And it's way cheaper.

WARNING (and yes I'm shouting because this is really important): You should call and talk to your cell phone provider to arrange for overseas rates. If you don't they will also charge you an arm and a leg for what they call roving. And they could cost you hundreds of dollars. So call your cell phone provider.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • martin
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

You can use a computer to email her, or use CallingCards.Com to get an international calling code. Check with your cellphone carrier on the texting: probably can't do it without buying a special chip to insert inside your cellphone.

• Herfnerd
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Wow - your recommendations are totally unnecessary. Using a computer to email on board a cruise ship will be pricey as well. Getting an international calling code for texting? Just wait until she is in port - there are plenty of places with free WiFi. She won't need a "special chip" either.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.