Is it best to hire the manufacturer for appliance repair?

Update: A local company wants $575 to replace the drive motor. I hit it in just the right spot and get it to work and have been doing that for probably at least a year now. I've had it for about 10 years.
Update 2: I chatted with Sears online and they said approx. $195-240 to repair ($100 to diagnose which would be applied to the completed repair). Do you think the other people automatically say you need drive motor replaced just to get as much $$$ as possible and maybe Sears CAN fix it for $195-240? Or should I just keep... show more I chatted with Sears online and they said approx. $195-240 to repair ($100 to diagnose which would be applied to the completed repair). Do you think the other people automatically say you need drive motor replaced just to get as much $$$ as possible and maybe Sears CAN fix it for $195-240? Or should I just keep hitting it to get it to work?