Oku asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 8 months ago

Why is it only men required to register with the US Selective Service System, and not women?

Gender equality refers to the equal rights, opportunities and responsibilities, not just the equal rights and responsibilities. Do women want gender privilege rather than gender equality?

I am not going to buy the "women are physically weaker than men" argument, since if it was just about physical strength, weak men would not be required to register, while women with stronger physical constitutions would be required to register with the US Selective Service System. And, women serving in the army to get paid is also a proof that they are capable of serving in the military.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

"Why is it only men required to register with the US Selective Service System, and not women?"

The early feminist movement for "equality" focussed on equal RIGHTS for women without ever addressing the concept of equal RESPONSIBILITIES. 100 years later and we are still in this weird state of affairs where women have full legal equality to men, but men have greater legal Responsibilities to the society. This is not a proper equality. This is what's known as feminist "gender equality". And strangely, feminists are still not happy with this privileged state of affairs.

Add to this the fact that feminism allowed women to drop their traditional gender expectations in society while not allowing men that same option. Even the state holds on to this idea by law, and holds men only to the legal obligation of the Selective Service, among other things.

• ron h
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Because we used to believe that there were rights and responsibilities for men. One of them was going to war when called. Because men are stronger and were taught from a young age that we were designed physically and mentally to defend and protect our families, we accepted that responsibility. It's always been the case that men (and women) could join the military could join the military if they wanted to, but registering for the draft was just part of being a man.

• 8 months ago

There was a recent court case that might change that requirement. It was so recent that things have not had a chance to settle down yet so I don't know where it will go. But I can suggest that fallout from the case might lead to a change in Selective Service registration requirements. It could happen.

• 8 months ago

Registering for the draft is a historic relic; the US has not drafted anyone since 1973. At that time, women were not permitted to serve in the Armed Forces in combat.

Personally, I don't think that anyone should be required to register. But you are right that it is an inequality.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Elana
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Feminism promotes opportunity, not responsibility, for women.

Source(s): Was a feminist for 4 years. Then I grew up.
  • 8 months ago

> "Why is it only men required to register...?"

It is sexist bigotry.

• Rayal
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

This has been a problem forever and was always discussed during the Vietnam War when there was an actual draft.

I think everyone should be required to sign up and there should be national service of 2 years after High School graduation or College graduation, for everyone. (not necessarily the armed services. )

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

How could we ever let anything happen to such beauty?

Attachment image
    • Rayal
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Because Mann Coulter is such a paragon of womanhood

• 8 months ago

Because that is how the law is currently written.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Feminism is about superiority not equality

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.