Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 7 months ago

Is gender a social construct?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

NO.

There are clear physical differences in many areas. Size, genitalia, ability to breed or not, muscle mass, hormones, baldness, facial and body hair are just starters. The mindset of males differs to females in a general sense. Men are generally linear thinkers and women think more in a circular manner. Men are therefore good spatially, mathematically, engineering wise compared to women. Women tend to think in a scattered, round about way, where there are infinite possibilities of getting something done. Males are far more *fixed*. Hard to pin down spiritual differences but there seems to be differences in the range of how males connect spiritually to how women do. Women are generally similar and do not have a big wide ranging POV. Whereas males have a very wide POV.

So there are strong physical differences between males and females which is everything to do with gender. To a lesser extent these differences apply to mental and spiritual differences. With males having a much greater range in capability than females. Females seem to be more uniform whereas males differ greatly.

The above physical, mental and spiritual differences are innate and have little to nothing to do with a social construct related to gender.

• Cee
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The past 20 years or so of lefty cr@p has a lot to answer for.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Yes, whether behaviour (like wearing a skirt) is considered masculin or feminin or not is * cultural* . Whether eunuchs and gays are considered separate genders is cultural

SEXE is biological, and some people don't neatly fit in either

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Gender is a social construct in the same way species is a social construct.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

No, that's ridiculous. Gender is biological. This is coming from a trans man.

• Thomas
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Parents at child birth flip a coin. "Eagle" means: pale blue rompers, will go to expensive university, become CEO or US President, massive income, wife, 3 children, dog, house,car. In short: Boy "Cipher" (Number) means: has to walk around in pink, everything in life will be pink, not allowed to play with toy guns, not allowed to be nasty, not allowed to have high wages, glass sealing, woman shelter, menopause, pay gap. In short: girl. The answer therefore is: YES (parents do that).

• 7 months ago

"Is gender a social construct?"

It depends on who's defining that word. And there has been a lot of nonsense with this word lately. My take on this is, who knows? Who cares?? There are two SEXES. That's all that matters.

Gender is meaningless now since sjw's are telling us that there's over 64 of them at last count. Gender is supposedly a social construct according to feminists. In reality, it appears to be a mental construct the way they describe it.

Anybody can be anything they believe themselves to be. This is why it's ridiculous to entertain this mental condition any longer. As humans we are either male or female. If we don't "identify" as one or the other then we have a psychological condition that needs to be corrected. It's the same if we believe ourselves to be a different race than we really are. Or, if we were to believe that we are Jesus, or Hitler.

• 7 months ago

Gender roles and norms..? Yes. Very much so.

As for some people inherently being more feminine, or more masculine, than others..? I think that's quite likely the case. And that it's got an at least *partially* biological basis. Although nurture also plays into it, to some extent. Still, no matter how PC you try to be in giving your kids only gender neutral toys, for instance..? Kids still know what they like, and what they want to play with, regardless. I know I always did.

Most people born with female bodies tend to be more feminine, and most people with male bodies tend to be more masculine. But there are always outliers. And that's OKAY. What's totally f*cked up, actually..? Is society making people think, through pushing rigid gender norms, that being an outlier in that way is somehow "bad"! And it means you're not "really" a man, or not "really" a woman... Even though THE only thing that's required to be one, really..? Is being born with that specific kind of body! And speaking from a feminist perspective, I think the whole supposed trans solution, of saying: "okay, you being gender non-conforming means you're REALLY the other sex", is also complete and utter tosh. And really only further reinforces the same old crappy, oppressive gender norms. Which.. I'll include an image that perfectly illustrates how I see that. (Can you guess which one I am?)

Although... For some people who have CRIPPLING gender dysphoria, it very well may be that transitioning is the best possible treatment for them, regardless. In terms of what will overall maximize their happiness, and allow them to live their best possible lives. In which case..? I support it. But I still think it's WAY too easily sold as some sort of cure-all to gender non-conforming people, these days. As opposed to more reasonable, low-threshold solutions, that WON'T turn them into life-long medical patients, just simply for not conforming to sh*tty gender norms. Such as for instance.. helping them work through trauma, and accept their bodies for what they are. Natal sex and all. Which really can't be changed, anyway. No matter how much certain people may wish otherwise.

Attachment image
    Source(s): Sex is biological and unchangeable. Gender norms suck.
  • 7 months ago

No. That's pure lunacy. No better than believing the earth is flat, or that humans rode around on dinosaurs when God created life 6.000 years. The only difference is that people who believe this fashionable form of nonsense have positions at the highest levels of academia.

If gender is a social construct, there should surely be numerous societies wherein women are the primary soldiers, hunters, and builders, while the men stay behind to raise the children. I am unaware of any such society.

That's not a coincidence. Men and women are biologically hardwired to behave in certain ways. While there are different gender expressions depending on where you are , such as heterosexual men in the Arab world holding hands, these expressions are still ultimately a representation of the innate masculine and feminine traits of males and females.

The only places where gender can really be called a social construct are, ironically enough, places where left wing fanatics have been allowed to deny the biological basis of gender and to socially engineer their ideology into every aspect of life. "Genderfluid," "Non binary"."Demigirl," "omnigender" and the rest of their made up, non existent identities are the definition a social construct.

• nikki1234
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

anthropological constants, cultural anthropology, and social anthropology, seem to give more of those guidelines you mention. geocultural values do differ, but socially it seems time to widen and deepen our views to be more inclusive.

• 7 months ago

NO THE DR KNOWS WHAT WE ARE WHEN we come into the world. We all have birth certificates.

• Cato
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

https://strawpoll.com/7g9bpcs4

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.