What does the 9 11 victim compensation fund pay for?

I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with a cancer that is on the eligible list for the compensation fund. He has very good insurance and will have little out of pocket expenses. He can also get free treatment through a 9 11 program. He may miss at least 2 months work and will at least get a small temp... show more I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with a cancer that is on the eligible list for the compensation fund.

He has very good insurance and will have little out of pocket expenses. He can also get free treatment through a 9 11 program.

He may miss at least 2 months work and will at least get a small temp disability payment. I don't know how much less than his normal salary yet.

The fund is only pay 30 percent of claims at this point. So if he ends up with 1000 in losses, he would get 300.

Does the fund cover any more than actual expenses or lost income, such as compensation for pain and suffering?

If the amount he will get is very low, it won't be worth it to him to pursue it and the last thing he needs now is to being dealing with government bureaucracy if its not a viable option.

I also have severe (unrelated) health issues and am too sick to fight with them.
Update: LAWYERS? yeah lets talk to the lawyers who will tell anyone they are eligible, do minimal work, and take 1/3rd if there is any payment....or if he is only eligible for a few hundred, with charge him 5000 for their help.
Update 2: I have been dealing with government 'help' since I became severely disabled 10 years ago....all I have gotten is ABUSE...not responding, unrelated responses, abusive responses....and even 3 outright CRIMINAL responses.....i have no reason to expect this fund to be any different...and its not really my... show more I have been dealing with government 'help' since I became severely disabled 10 years ago....all I have gotten is ABUSE...not responding, unrelated responses, abusive responses....and even 3 outright CRIMINAL responses.....i have no reason to expect this fund to be any different...and its not really my fight...I have too much too fight for to get the help I need
Update 3: yeah, really, there have been NO stories of people clearly eligible for large amounts being forced to fight for help..while they are fighting for their lives
Update 4: https://www.911cancerclaim.com/blog/can-...
Sadly, it is not uncommon for the 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund (VCF) to deny eligible claims for compensation or issue an award for a substantially smaller amount than it should be