How can you follow and love God?

Hi. I ask this question out of pure curiosity. I don't mean to offend anyone and everyone has the right to believe what they want. The bible has quotes that I just don't understand how you can follow and love who said it. Take these quotes for example: “I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority... show more Hi. I ask this question out of pure curiosity. I don't mean to offend anyone and everyone has the right to believe what they want. The bible has quotes that I just don't understand how you can follow and love who said it. Take these quotes for example: “I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.”, “Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.”, “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.”, "Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.". I could find more but I can only type so much. I don't understand how you can follow these sort of things and just blindly believe that's right because some man wrote it in a book. In my mind, surely someone just wrote in things to manipulate others. And if they are really what God orders, how can that be good and pure? Slaves submit to cruel masters? Women don't have authority over men but they must submit to their husbands? That sort of thing goes against everything I believe and I don't understand how you can worship someone who says that sort of thing. I'm the kind of person who needs a genuine good reason to do or believe things. Not just someone saying that it just should be like that. I like other people's views and opinions and they help to form my own, so please someone explain how you can choose to love and follow this. This isn't meant to try and bring down religious people.
16 answers 16