Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 8 months ago

How long did you wait till you went in maternity leave?

Just trying to get a feel for how long I should wait till I go on leave myself.

It was a long time ago but back then you automatically started maternity leave when you were 6 months pregnant but when I was pregnant I had terrible sickness and gave up work at 3 months pregnant and didn't return to work until my daughter was 7 years old and then I only worked during school hours. Daughter is now adult and mum of 2 and she done the same during pregnancy.

With my oldest, I had to be taken off work about a month before my due date because of complications. I ended up having him three weeks later.

With the next three, I worked until the week of the birth. I wanted my time off to be after the birth, not before. Things were in order all four times, no risk of leaving anything half-done. We all worked together regardless, someone being out with no notice wouldn't have left the rest of us in the lurch.

With the last, I was working a good portion from home already anyway, so I didn't really take time off.

• Pippin

I chose to leave my job about 2-3 weeks before my due date. I was quitting completely rather than taking a limited leave, and I wanted to be sure that I had time to tie up loose ends and start getting my replacement trained in the basics of the job before I left. (So I didn't want to work until the last minute and risk going into labor a little early and have to leave the job half-done.)