Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 year ago

this may seem stupid, but what is this called?

I'm currently designing a floor plan for my house that I'm getting built. I really want a wall to divide the master bedroom and ensuite, with a gap in it instead of a door. What is this called?

• Ann
    1 year ago

It's called a room divider. You wouldn't want this in your home, because 1) it would afford little or no privacy, and there are times when a person absolutely needs privacy, and 2) it wouldn't be warm in the winter. Trying to shower/bathe in an open space like that would cause you to be very, very cold. You seriously need to put a door in a bathroom.

1 year ago

it looks very sleek and modern and if it's just a half bath then no big deal. but if you're going to bathe or shower there you're gonna want a door so you don't freeze your giblets off!! i have a huge shower with only a 3/4 glass side and no shower door so i have to close the bathroom door and put the heater on no matter what time of year it is or else it's too drafty and i have a miserable shower.

1 year ago

Add a door. Some people can't go with other people WATCHING.

• 1 year ago

Doorway? But consider at least putting in a pocket door, you can leave it open.

• 1 year ago

Bathrooms should have doors. Thats a nice picture, probably a showroom, but in a real living environment what goes on in the bathroom should stay in the bathroom. Aside from the obvious, the moisture from bathing or showering needs to be contained in the bathroom and not flow out into your bedroom. Over time the bedroom will become musty and damp. Some people have a barn door over a larger bathroom door so you have your opening but you can also close the bathroom off when in use.

1 year ago

Room divider or partition.

When I have designed these I still put the lavatory in a compartment with its own door to give a little acoustic privacy and to manage air extraction. If you are on your own, then fine, but marriage is no excuse for that kind of intimacy.

• Rick B
    1 year ago

An opening or an archway. That is a terrible idea thou. A bathroom should have a door. Not putting a door will reduce resale value.

That picture shows a floating wall or separating wall.