Should I stop learning Classic Rock/Metal and learn mainly the newer stuff?

See I’m looking to start a heavy metal band and I’ve been learning songs from bands I like so ive been learning songs from bands like Metallica. Def Leppard. Scorpions. Avenged Sevenfold. Disturbed. Whitesnake. Danzig. Breaking Benjamin. Godsmack Bullet for My Valentine and other bands like those and this guy I... show more See I’m looking to start a heavy metal band and I’ve been learning songs from bands I like so ive been learning songs from bands like Metallica. Def Leppard. Scorpions. Avenged Sevenfold. Disturbed. Whitesnake. Danzig. Breaking Benjamin. Godsmack Bullet for My Valentine and other bands like those and this guy I know told me I should stop learning songs that are old like that and learn more current heavier stuff like Slipknot. Korn. Ghost and bands like that. He said that if I continue to play bands like Metallica. Scorpions. Whitesnake. Def Leppard. Disturbed and the other bands I mentioned in bars and clubs and stuff no one would take me seriously and think I’m just a cover band I mean I like Slipknot and korn and stuff but I just don’t really like playing that kind of metal as much as I do bands like Metallica. Disturbed. Avenged Sevenfold. And the others I mentioned