Brother in law gets laid off from Oracle after 21 years... is Oracle having trouble?

I don't get the logic here. He was a senior program manager and made $175K, and was very good at his job. So good in fact that my sister says not too many people have the skills he does. They began treating him like crap, assigning him 24 hour on-call shifts over Christmas in hopes that he'd quit. He... show more I don't get the logic here. He was a senior program manager and made $175K, and was very good at his job. So good in fact that my sister says not too many people have the skills he does. They began treating him like crap, assigning him 24 hour on-call shifts over Christmas in hopes that he'd quit. He didn't, so he could tell them to eff off and get his severance package. He also told them to eff off by getting at least 5 of his team to resign, now they're hitting up Google, Amazon, MS.

Anyone know anything about Oracle's management? My guess is some idiot thought they could save the company's bottom line, and replace him with a new face and pay him half the salary. I can't see it working out that great for them ,but management knows best, right?