Can I use a selfie stick to take videos of my environment? Not selfie videos!?

I have spent an hour looking for information on Google about whether a selfie stick can be used to hold my phone while I take video of stuff I see, but every article or video only talks about shooting video of yourself. Not sure why anybody would want to take video of themselves, but whatever. This is my first... show more I have spent an hour looking for information on Google about whether a selfie stick can be used to hold my phone while I take video of stuff I see, but every article or video only talks about shooting video of yourself. Not sure why anybody would want to take video of themselves, but whatever. This is my first smart phone. I have never seen a selfie stick up close and personal. When I take video of like my pets and stuff, it is hard to hold the phone in my hands, especially if I want to get down to my pets eye level. So I thought a selfie stick? Would that work?