Salt and Peppy asked in PetsDogs · 9 months ago

When did they start cracking down on picking up your dog's poop?

I know it's been many years, but I'm curious when this all started.

I don't have a dog, now, but as a kid I did (about 1990-ish). I took her for walks and she pooped and I left it there. Mind you, I didn't let her poop in anyone's yard... always in the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street. But I never picked it up, and I was never told to pick it up, by my parents or anyone else.

So, since I haven't had a dog in all these years, I don't know when everyone started picking up their dog's poop.

LOL! A Facebook friend was complaining about someone letting his dog poop in her yard, and it got me wondering.

Thanks for any info!

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

it started when retards liek you started letting your dogs poop and not pick it up

• Login to reply the answers
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

No one should have to tell you to pick it up - YOU should have done so as a health curtesy and as a good neighbor. I had dogs in the 70's and 80's and ALWAYS took a bag with me to pick up poop from walking my dog - no one had to "tell" me to do something that was common sense.

Would you have appreciated someone leaving poop on your property? And YES the strip between the curb and sidewalk is still "owned" by the person who has the house there - they have to maintain the area and keep it clean, mow the grass, etc. You should have cleaned up after your dog - NO excuses.

If I saw you do that, you would have gotten chewed out and made to clean it up!

• Salt and Peppy
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Wow. So judgy. I was 12. No 12-year-old is going to scoop poop on his own without being told.

• 9 months ago

Well, I don't know when it started, but it's simply common courtesy to pick up dog crap. Crap stinks, is a waste product and (if you live near a lake or river) can contaminate the water supply.

• 9 months ago

where exactly the worldis a big big place

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

This depends on where you are.

I have always picked up after my dogs, for decades. It’s common courtesy.

• 9 months ago

Depends on the person. Some people are selfish pigs, others thankfully aren't. I've ALWAYS picked up after my dog. Before they sold the poop bags I'd just keep a couple plastic produce bags in my car. Disgusting you just left it there for other people to step in, to spread parasites, etc.

• 9 months ago

I can't remember exactly and it isn't going to be the same for every place in the world, but I'd say it was probably in the early 2000s where I live.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

I am 52. I have ALWAYS picked up after my dogs.

Perhaps we lived in different parts of town where there were different standards.

• 9 months ago

in the late 1990,s

Lv 7
    9 months ago

I was a kid in the 1980s and was always told to pick up after my dog (and we did). I also recall my dad getting into an argument with the neighbors over their dog crapping in our front yard and threatening to call animal control. So, just seems like you were raised by inconsiderate parents, or in an area that was behind the times.

• Salt and Peppy
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Huh. I did grow up in a very small town, so maybe they just didn't care enough to make it an issue. Thanks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.