Should I paint my living room a more neutral color?

My main "feature wall" is an eggplant, the walls are a light, white/blue color and all accents are yellow. I love the color scheme, but want to sell my house. Should I paint all walls the same light white/gray? It s the same tone/shade as the blue/white, but would it decrease the multiple colors going on overall in the downstairs....

Favorite Answer

I recently sold a house and repainted every room prior to putting it on the market. Every single potential buyer commented on how they loved the colors. The people who did buy the house kept every single room as I left them, colorwise.

I used, for the whole main floor (open floor plan) Benjamin Moore's Cream Yellow. This yellow is far from a harsh yellow as it is neutral enough to match every color scheme. The stairwell and upstair hallway was Sand Dune. The bathrooms, Bunny Gray, Caribbean. Bedrooms were Green Cast, Chameleon Green, In Your Eyes (lightest of blue). My realtor told me to avoid bold accent wall colors because even thought paint can be easily changed, bold colors just mean more work, more money and overwhelm home buyers. My realtor suggested I paint the whole house interior one neutral color, but since the house was on the water, I chose the beach colors and have zero regrets.

• Kim R

If the flooring is grey, go with white or light grey for the walls. If the flooring is tan/beige/brown, then go for white or beige. One accent wall is nice if it is a darker shade of the same lighter color.

Light blue

Yes, and listen closely to what the realtor suggests too. But avoid any strong personal color schemes, buyers often can’t see beyond strong statements

Paint it red.

• drip

Paint it all white gray color. Everything.

Good old magnolia... Blank canvas for the potential buyers..

yes, it opens up the space