How to Achieve Natural Vibrato?

This is the age-old question, but let me get one thing straight first: I know vibrato can't be learned, but I know I have it because I've hit it a few times. My question is, how do I hit my natural vibrato with ease? I see a plethora of YouTube videos on how to do it, but none of them seem to help? Any suggestions? Is there a video/method that helped you?

Yes, I breathe with my diaphragm, my breath is strong. I've been acting for eight years and breath is everything. The sound that comes out when I sing is smooth but there isn't any vibrato.

Favorite Answer

Best answer: See a teacher

My current and other teachers and books have all described it to something of this effect:

When all your tension is in proper areas (that is, no unecessary tension)

When everything is relaxed that should be relaxed

When you have sufficient control over the diaphragm and breath management (and further if you're going to assume that parts of your technique are capable without even being reviewed by a voice teacher then you may never get your results, don't assume anything).

Your tone will have vibrato to it. (of course they go into detail more but essentially thats it summarized).

The problem with youtube videos:

Obviously, if you're NOT getting a natural vibrato, you're doing something WRONG. (Yes, it could even be breath management, get over it).

What are you doing WRONG? Who knows.

Maybe tension in the tongue, in the neck, in your stance

Maybe your breath control is different when you sing

Maybe your not placing the voice right

Maybe your trying to still manipulate it directly

List of 100 other possible reasons why

WHO KNOWS?

Now, when you watch a youtube video, it may show you a technique. The technique may even be good.

Cool, so you do the technique.

But did you do it right? The youtube video can't tell you what you're doing right or wrong. Did you do it enough for you? The youtube video can't tell you that.

It can say "If you do this (let's just pretend its the minor scale) enough, then you'll get good vibrato results." If not, it may likely be because your still not using your diaphragm enough.

So, if you don't get results, the only troubleshooting offered is more diaphragmatic activity is needed.

Maybe when you're doing the minor scale, you hit the notes correctly like the video shows and you're using your diaphragm sufficiently, but you've tensed up parts of your tongue in the process which restrict the free tone. The video can't tell you that.

Watching youtube videos is a crapshoot.

Some advice is good.

Some advice is bad.

It's possible to learn from youtube, but it's very unlikely.

Regardless, NO youtube video can

1) Actually observe what YOU are doing

2) Give you relevant FEEDBACK that YOU need.

Which is what you need, so see a voice teacher! :)

We all want you to succeed, and we don't want to waste your time. That's the best answer.

• Kevin

Ask teachers for information if they know of any free workshops and masterclasses they know of

See a voice teacher.

I taught Voice in the schools of NYS for over 30 years. I also am a professional flutist - and their have taught CORRECT, natural-sounding, unforced, flexible vibrato to thousands. Get a fine teacher. Ditch YouTube - they can't teach you if they can't see or hear you. Good luck - but there is a REASON people having been learning from live teachers for thousands of years - yes, even after digital communication.

Apologies for errors from iPhone - repaired at desktop.