Can I take this?

I found some steel that I'm sure comes from a railroad track but it looks like a chunk of rusted round stock (possibly a giant pin im not sure what it is) it's not attached to the railroad anymore and it was within my property line

Is it illegal to take this? I'm wanting to see if I can salvage it and make something out it

• Dale-E
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, It is a knuckle pin. That pin used to bear train draw weight as a train started moving, when at the front end it would bear the entire weight of the pull. Some times a knuckle will break when an ingineer starts pulling too aggressively. The pin comes out to replace the broken knuckle. The pin can go in place by itself to take a steel cable loop. There are not a lot of these laying about so, you sort of have something special. It might be handy for driving out or driving in a bearing race or oil seal ring.

If there are a few more laying around, clean them up and sell them on eBay.

• 1 year ago

I'd say it's yours .... and I'd look for more stuff .

• 1 year ago

go for it! nobody will care its not on the track anymore

• martin
    1 year ago

It's doubtful the railroad company would want it, especially when it's rusted and is on your property.