How long did you wait before adopting a new pet?

My late cat, Crookshanks (yes, the name comes from exactly where you think it does!) :) has passed away in February 2018. He died approximately 21 years young. The vet figures he was about 4 when I found him on a frozen beach in winter 2001 and I was 9 years old. So I've had him for 17 years. I'll admit I... show more My late cat, Crookshanks (yes, the name comes from exactly where you think it does!) :) has passed away in February 2018. He died approximately 21 years young. The vet figures he was about 4 when I found him on a frozen beach in winter 2001 and I was 9 years old. So I've had him for 17 years.

I'll admit I loved him more than any other of my family members, and anyone who met him loved him and spoiled him to death. He literally has about 100 small stuffed toys that I still keep in his old toy box to this day. I can't find it in my heart to get rid of them.

Even though we all knew he was going to pass away shortly, it was still a shock for all of us when he died just over a year ago. Now friends tell me it's about time I get a new pet because they worry about me living all by myself, and they keep talking about cat names and looking up cat images on google when they come over. I know it's been over a year, but I'd still feel guilty replacing him just like that.

He'd be beside me in Christmas card pictures, come over with me to friend's bbq parties in the summer, as he was family to a lot of other people, too.He was so human that I don't think just any cat could replace him.