Angie asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 8 months ago

Say you re in the front seat of a car with a seat belt. If the person behind you didn t have a seat belt on, could they crush you?

I was browsing youtube and I saw a creepy PSA complation about car crashes and stuff, and it said that if somebody were in the front of a car, and somebody behind them were not wearing their seatbelts, if the car were to suddenly stop, the person behind could slam into the seat of the person in the front, and accidently crush them. Is this possible? I m really curious.

Favorite Answer

It's a recognised cause of death for people in the front seats. In a collision unbelted rear seat passengers are thrown forwards and their head hits the very vulnerable back of the head of someone in a front seat. It can result in instant death. The front seat head restaints help a lot but they don't remove the risk completely.

• zipper

That would all depend on how large that back seat person was and how fast the vehicle was going at the time of inpack. It could happen, buut not very likely!

Not necessarily 'crush', but they will be a projectile, and could injure you.

There's never a reason for every single person in the car to not be buckled up.

• Edna

Yes .. it's VERY possible. The impact from the person in the back seat slamming into a person in the front seat could crush the person in the front, and it could crush the person in the back seat.

• Phil M

Yes, many injuries suffered in car crashes are caused by non secured objects.

• Ron

Absolutely could happen. There's a math formula for that but I couldn't say what it is and couldn't understand it if I did. Velocity times mass and things like that. A 150 person hitting the back of your seat when a car going 30 mph stops suddenly probably "weighs" over a thousand pounds.....some physics wizard could explain it.

• not

Seats aren't all that tough. Fat people break them in normal use. The seat is designed to keep one normal sized person in place. The weight of a second slams the back of it while it's already doing it's maximum job it could easily break it or cause a seatbelt failure.

Not likely unless the car is going at a terrific rate of speed and the rear passenger weighs 400 pounds.

Yes. I always remind my passengers to wear their seat belts before I move off.