What do you think of linguistics as a major?

I reallly love languages and everything that are related to them. Ever since I was young I used to spend time on reading dictionaries or using google translate and I was fascinated by how languages work. This is why I grew up having the idea that my major in the future will be linguistics and I will continue my... show more I reallly love languages and everything that are related to them. Ever since I was young I used to spend time on reading dictionaries or using google translate and I was fascinated by how languages work. This is why I grew up having the idea that my major in the future will be linguistics and I will continue my higher education and do lots of researches in the areas that I’m interested in. But now that I graduated high school with very high grades and seeing people asking me whether I want to be a doctor. engineer, or lawyer as if other majors are just useless I’m...?? I can’t explain but I really feel lost and hesitant!! When I told my computer science that I want to be a linguist she seemed disappointed!! It hurted me. Life was so much easier before I knew how many people around me think about my academic plans! Can I hear your opinions please? I’ll be very thankful!

P.S English is not my first language, sorry if I have mistakes.