tzz1985 asked in SportsCycling · 1 year ago

Are plus-size mountain bikes more difficult to ride uphill on?

I would like to start mountain biking and am thinking a bike with plus size tires would be good for a beginner as I read they would give me better traction. I am not looking for speed or to make big jumps, I just want to have fun and stay in shape. My only concern is the added weight may make it more difficult to pedal uphill?

• D50
    1 year ago

Learn to use the gears and they're all about the same.

• 1 year ago

They are not. Plus size tires fit between regular mountain bike tires and fat bike tires in width. The 27.5+" tires are much lighter than fat bike 4"+ wide tires and not a whole lot heavier than regular width 29" mountain bike tires. They provide superb traction on unpaved surfaces where traction is often the determining factor that keeps you moving uphill. Off road, traction is the key that will help you overcome steep climbs. That said, practice and training is more important. During the 20+ years I have been mountain biking, although I have used much the same equipment, I can do things I couldn't possibly have done when I was 40 years old even though I currently qualify for senior discounts

• 1 year ago

Here I'm going to assume you're talking about a fat tire bike not an actual 29" wheel mountain bike. Fat tires are designed to ride in mud, lose dirt, gravel, sand or snow terrains.

The correct frame size is very important with a mountain bike. Which means you need to go to a reputable bicycle shop not a department store. You should be familiar with the trails you wish to ride on. Because you're going to need to be using the best tread pattern on your tires suited for that particular trail. You can walk through it once you're experienced enough to know which tread patterns work best where. Or you could ask other mountain bikers who ride the trail regularly what they use. As for hill climbing be sure to have some really low gears if you have steep hills. Something like a 22:34+ crank/rear wheel ratio. Motorized bicycle owner and builder.

• Mtrlpqbiker
      1 year agoReport

Plus size tires are not fat tires. They fit in between regular mountain bike tire sizes and fat tire mountain bike sizes. You assumed wrong

1 year ago

Less difficult if the hill is really steep because if it's really steep, you lose traction on a standard bike and your rear wheel spins out. I bike a trail out at Yankee Springs in Michigan. There's one hill that's so long and steep that unless you go into it with maximum speed, which is difficult because it comes right after a quite technical stretch of single track, then around half or three quarters of the way up, your rear wheel starts spinning instead of getting you up the hill and you start backsliding.

That said, I'd never get those ridiculous tires. Sure, on something like that, they may help you out, but the entire rest of the time you're riding with those fat tires under low pressure, you're dogging it. You get no speed. And you say you don't care about that, but you need it. You need to be able to be dynamic in your riding, to be able to slow or stop abruptly and to be able to accelerate quickly and hit high levels of speed, because at Yankee Springs, it's a far better ride to know the trail and know you need to explode out of that technical bit of single track and make it all the way up that hill by going fast and hard while others in the field who don't backslide.

Aside from the fact that the benefits are somewhat dubious and are enormously outweighed, literally, by the cons, plus-size just looks straight-up ridiculous.

Here's what you do to see if you'd like plus-size: on your current standard mountain bike, let the air pressure out of your tires so that you're only running on, say, 25psi, just enough that you're not dinging your rims hitting bumps. Then ride. That ride, that will be akin to plus-size, except plus-size will even be slower and doggier.

• Mtrlpqbiker
      1 year agoReport

Plus size tires are not as wide as fat tires. They are narrower, and much lighter

1 year ago

The bigger the bike, the heavier it is making it harder work to ride. In my experience the lighter the bike is the easier and more enjoyable it is to ride. Plus there will be less clearance between the top tube and your sexual organs if you fall off the cycle.