In the 1950s, how was garbage taken care of?

I'm researching for a story I am writing that takes place in a fictional setting based loosely off of Canada or the US in the mid-1950s. The setting is best described as suburban for it is a small town with basic shops and schools and such, but it is mainly forests and some farmland. In such a setting, how... show more I'm researching for a story I am writing that takes place in a fictional setting based loosely off of Canada or the US in the mid-1950s. The setting is best described as suburban for it is a small town with basic shops and schools and such, but it is mainly forests and some farmland.

In such a setting, how was non-biodegradable trash disposed of? Did people put it in a dumpster at the local dump, where it was then collected? Was it burned? If so, what was done with the garbage that couldn't be burned?

If you have any other fun-facts or memories about the 1950s, feel free to add it. Thanks in advance!