Am I being too critical with my husbands drinking?

So, I will admit that I am a little closed minded when it comes to drinking. My grandfather was a drinker and used to drive drunk with my mother in the back seat when she was growing up, so she was always a stickler when it came to alcohol when I was growing up. My husband has never been a drinker since I met him... show more So, I will admit that I am a little closed minded when it comes to drinking. My grandfather was a drinker and used to drive drunk with my mother in the back seat when she was growing up, so she was always a stickler when it came to alcohol when I was growing up. My husband has never been a drinker since I met him because he knows I don’t really like it. He comes from a family of alcoholics and depression runs in his family as well. He does get depressed very easily. His stepfather is also an alcoholic and has been to rehab at least 3 times since I’ve known him. Lately, my husbands mother I guess has given up on her husbands recovery from alcoholism and is now drinking all the time and encourages my husband to drink. He told her that I don’t like him drinking but she still tells him to grab a beer anyways and he only seems to drink when encouraged. I have never seen my husband drunk however im worried that he is going to start drinking more and more if this encouragement continues and I don’t think it’s a good idea with his depression. Am I being too dramatic or judgmental about this? If not, how do I handle this situation without causing problems with my mother in law?
7 answers 7