How to safely use a fire pit (firewood base NOT gasbase) underneath a porch or carport?

When you have a wood burning fire pit and plan on using it underneath a porch or carport, you cannot have the flames too high, How can you manage to burn wood without the flames reaching the carport or porch ceiling and not catching it on fire. It is a wood burning fire pit, not a gas based fire pit. I know how... show more When you have a wood burning fire pit and plan on using it underneath a porch or carport, you cannot have the flames too high,

How can you manage to burn wood without the flames reaching the carport or porch ceiling and not catching it on fire.

It is a wood burning fire pit, not a gas based fire pit. I know how gas based fire pits are the standard in today's society and are the defacto but this is totally wood based fire pit. Yes I am not a green person so i don't use propane gas fire pits or natural gas or butane, pure wood!!