Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentConservation · 8 months ago

Are honeybees really endangered?

I'm aware that the popluations of many pollinators are decreasing and we've all heard the phrase 'Save the Bees' before, but are honeybees actually endangered or at risk in any way? Have they ever been endangered? More informaiton on this topic would be appreciated.

Update:

Edit: Endangered or not, are their numbers still decreasing?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Shazy
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

The scent of flowers is changing so the bees get confused.

• 8 months ago

Honeybees are decreasing due to pesticides and mites.

• M.
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Yes, very.

I no longer see bees near my home.

When I was a child more than half a century ago, there were many kinds of bees, hornets, wasps and other flying insects.

I don't even see a butterfly or moth any more.

Mankind has done this.

• M.
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Sorry Kenny. I wrote the truth. Maybe insect life is different wherever you are. But you need to believe what I wrote.

• 8 months ago

Yes, honey bees are endangered.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • james
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

In N America & Europe they are having trouble with population. Were I live in the S Pacific no. Looking at it world wide no. Local in some areas yes.

• 8 months ago

Overall no its just a media lie. One type of bee is going extinct but it has nothing to do with humans and everything to do with a type of fungi,

• 8 months ago

Yes, if not on an actual endangered species list, beginning to come close to it. In UK alone the honeybee population has declined dramatically over recent years. This is not only sad, or just depriving us of the pleasure of eating honey and enjoying the symbiotic relationship we've had with bees for so long, but actually endangers all of us as honeybees are relied upon extensively to cross pollinate. If they become extinct, new ways would have to be found to do this in a non-natural way.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I think "vulnerable" would be closer to the mark. However, the problem is, I gather, much more severe in the trucked hives used to pollinate crops than it is in wild hives.

• L
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Not quite, but we can't afford for any prolific pollinators to become endangered before we react to their declining numbers. If the major contributor to pollination is negatively impacted, our food supply could be impacted...

Whether honeybee colonies and populations are growing, stable or declining seems to be debatable. Search "bee population stability" and pick any number of conflicting reports. Better yet, find a local beekeeper and ask that person...

• Mog
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The rusty-patched bumblebee is endangered. Honeybees are not.

• Never Polled
      Lv 5
      8 months agoReport

Interesting information. Now I will have to research (google) this. thanks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.