Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 10 months ago

DC movies already has 2 Latino superheroes, Marvel has 0 - Why does Marvel Movies Hate Latinos?

Although Suicide Squad was not a great movie, I was happy to see for the first time ever a Latino superhero. I thought El Diablo's backstory was more interesting that the other characters.

I loved Shazam. I not only was it great, but one of the Latino kids from the orphanage got the powers of Shazam. He would be the 2nd Latino superhero ever.

Despite Black people crying out Hollywood not being diverse. I have yet seen a Marvel movie without a Black character.

Why does Marvel hate Latinos?

Favorite Answer

El Diablo, like almost everything about Suicide Squad, sucked.

There are latin superheroes in the Marvel comics, but comics in general has the issue that all of the biggest heroes are white men. The lone exception being Wonder Woman who is part of DC's holy trinity...though recall that for a long time, she was in stores about bondage and her first job with the Justice League...was answering the phones while the boys saved the planet. So....not exactly the feminist icon she's portrayed as today.

Black superheroes are doing a bit better than other minorities in comics, but let's be honest, Black Panther is a weak character and that was a weak movie. I know, we HAVE to love it because underrepresentation and all, but if we're really being honest, we all know it was "meh", right?

The best black superhero character in comics, I would argue is Storm of the X-Men, but she's unfortunately trapped in Fox's X-movies which have STUNK...and consequently her movie treatment has STUNK. Storm is complex and a great character, and hopefully now that Marvel Studios owns the X-Men again, maybe we'll see a good representation of her on the big screen.

I would argue the best latino superhero was actually Zorro. Now, it is something of a debate as to whether Zorro counts as a superhero, but if powers aren't a requirement (and Batman says they aren't), Zorro was arguably the FIRST superhero. He had a secret identity and all of the trappings of a superhero story, and predates Superman.

The latino superhero character owned by the big two comics companies are...kind of terrible actually. I don't think that's intentional. They've tried making LOTS of them....they just haven't worked out or caught on at all.

It's hard making breakout characters. Most of the best known superheroes were made in the 1960s or earlier. Even white male characters after that period have a low 'hit rate'.

• Diana

Batman is a re-tooling of the Shadow and Sherlock Holmes. Also, Zorro isn't a superhero. He's a mystery man.

Does everything have to have every single ethnicity in it? Like they can only fit so much maybe because latinos dont wanna be in marvel movies latinos arent the only ones just bc one thing doesnt have a specific race doesnt mean u whine they look for the best actors

They're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime

• super

They aren't worrying about non issues

Miles Morales is half-Latino and he was the lead of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse.

Diablo was more of an Anti-Hero than a superhero, considering his criminal history.

There is nothing that suggest that Marvel is discriminating against Latinos.

• 10 months agoReport

So Latinos can't even get a full Latino, we have to settle with half.

• Leo

We need an Eskimo superhero.

• Sherry

Not catering to a specific group doesn't equal hate. But you want hate, you need hate, you LIKE hate. "More hate please! And pay me, pay me, pay me!"

you had Cheech Marin...

• Susie

Why are you race baiting?? If we went by affirmative action in all areas equally the NFL and NBA would have a much different look to them.

Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden both belong in a nursing home.

• Lv 7

Well...Okay....then....