If you use the last of something in your house, do you tell the others in the house?

Recently, my dad and stepmom have been throwing fits about me using the last of something and then not alerting them about it. My idea behind this is that I'm alerting them that we need more so they can add it to their list of things to get. And that's fine. However, this week, I used the last of the foil.... show more Recently, my dad and stepmom have been throwing fits about me using the last of something and then not alerting them about it. My idea behind this is that I'm alerting them that we need more so they can add it to their list of things to get. And that's fine. However, this week, I used the last of the foil. When I got the foil roll out, I could see half of the brown roll because it had that little amount of foil left. I had to take it and rip it in half to cover as much of my small pan as I could. Today my stepmom needed foil for a much larger pan and is angry that I did not tell her I had used that last little piece, even though there is no way it could have worked for what she needed. I also recently used the last Q-tip in the box. Again, there was only 1 left in there. It's not like it was full one day and then magically empty the moment I used it. They're using these items constantly as well and should know whether or not we need them. I guess I just don't see why it's my place to announce that I've used the last of something (a lot of the times they are not around when I use it otherwise they would see me throw it away. So, a lot of the time I just forget I've used it). I am also with my stepmom when she goes grocery shopping so I make sure that we get more of what I used. Obviously, this is not that big of a deal for either side to just not make this a bigger deal than it needs to be. I'm just curious as to how it works in other households.