Lôn
Lv 7

Why do so many people nowadays try to pluralise words with an apostrophe? Orange's, car's, book's, Are they badly educated or stupid?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Benny
    Lv 6
    8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Stupidity, as they don't have the intelligence to apply a simple rule they learned in first grade.

• 8 months ago

lack of early use & direction of teachers in cursive writing script,grammar spelling punctuation,syntax,pronunciation,,kiddies tracing letters,printing them,engages more muscle & nerve pathways,,,,,computers being so prevalent for the mid 1990s generation usually have spelling check ( programmed by ferners ),meaning they become lazy,-------------------------------------------> my list of english booboos constantly heard,many from ten years employed in post grad professions-----------excetera,nucyuh ler,as per,true facts true history,past history,prior plans,prior history,future plans,various and sundry,excape,point n time,genral consensus,concensus of opinion,genril consensus of opinion. ( 'gen/rll' that is how bad word racconteurs make it sound) ,outer perimeter, loose lose,lossed lost,choose chose,,preboard prepay prequalify,prepay,preorder,preregister,regester, we'll,well,your,you're , would of,libary, to,too close proximity,general consensus,disorientating,nope nope

advertising babble,,the pre this pre that,pre everything,,normalcy it was goofy when harding used it,still goofy & still tv newsbroads use it.

• roberto
      Lv 6
      8 months agoReport

who runs american schools lon?
      a whole party,,political movement called 'the left' known commonly as 'the democrat party'
      teachers unions,administrations from coast to borders,,bilingual ed,a huge cost in teachers time,and other native americano studentis

• Mike
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

There stupid.

• 8 months ago

I've never seen this. Even the culprits of the most annoying grammar infractions that I've encountered seem to understand that apostrophes are for contractions and possessives, they just don't understand the rules. For example, they might confuse it's and its or put an 's after something ending in s-- I saw someone write books's on Facebook once, I'm still in shock XP.

• Paperbrain8 months agoReport

As a matter of fact I did. I just put it there as bait for grammar trolls.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

No more nowadays than in the past. There have always been badly-educated stupid people.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

English spelling is such a female dog that there are spelling-contests for NATIVE speakers

• Lôn
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

I've noticed that non-native speakers (like you and me) have a better grasp of English than many native speakers.

• 8 months ago

This is far from a modern problem. I remember encountering it in the mid 1970s in London, and it was far from new even then.

• 8 months ago

They are badly educated, not stupid. Plenty of otherwise smart people have trouble with spelling and punctuation.

• Fascinated
      Lv 6
      8 months agoReport

No. Much more complicated. It's the dumbing down of the entire school system to suit mandated standardized testing. Not enough time in the school day for writing.

• Mamie
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

There's nothing new about it. It's been going on for ages. People just don't understand the use of the apostrophe.

• jehen
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I don't think it's people doing it, it's auto-correct

• Lôn
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

No it isn't...books, oranges, cars...none of those have been autocorrected to book's, orange's, car's !

• 8 months ago

Lazy

• Lôn
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Good point...I bet most of them haven't read a book in years.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.