Why are Americans so against trains?
With Amtrak being so outdated, it must seem Americans hate trains, what is the reason for this?
- 8 months agoFavorite Answer
They aren't. To understand the state of railroads in America you need to read the history of them, particularly the period after World War II where competition from airlines, trucking companies and the expansion of the interstate highway system caused many railroads to go out of business. Trouble with labor unions added greatly to the problems railroads had through the 1950's and 60's, and strong lobbies from the auto manufacturers, tire manufacturers, oil companies and other special interests effectively influenced government legislation and subsidies in such a way that railroads were prevented from thriving and by the 1970's they were all bankrupt. Amtrak was a government organized railroad setup to salvage the situation but passenger service never really recovered and the loss of rights of way and the dismantling of tens of thousands of miles of tracks made it economically unfeasible for private railroad companies to compete with the airlines and travel by personal automobile.
- 7 months ago
the oil companies are the one against them. ride a train, you don't buy gasoline. that simple.
- Anonymous7 months ago
The Measles outbreak.
- ZheiaLv 68 months ago
The railways lines would be subject to all kinds of problems: snow, buckling in heat, floods, cattle, hurricanes, earthquakes.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- hartLv 68 months ago
America has the most stupid rail system
- Anonymous8 months ago
1) while much smaller than Russia, China, India . . we're a lot bigger than most developed countries . . . . . .even with high-speed trains coast-to-coast, our people would rather stand in line for 6 hours to take an airplane . . . . . many haven't yet become accustomed to being stripped of their free-will and doing what they're told to and prefer the comfort and privacy of their automobiles.
2) BUT . . . trains use energy and pollute (either the individual train or power source) . . they must be OUTLAWED together with airplanes and cars . . . freight and people should be shipped by hot air baloons (watch out for the windmills) and donkey-pulled canal barges. This has got to happen quickly - only 12 years until the END OF THE WORLD !!!!!!!
- zipperLv 68 months ago
They cost to much to keep up and running.
- thebax2006Lv 78 months ago
We like the freedom of driving our cars!
- regeruggedLv 78 months ago
They are too slow and too inefficient. Rail lines take up too much ground. We fly in planes from place to place.
- Phil MLv 78 months ago
People love to drive cars.
- Anonymous8 months ago