Where do I need to get a business license?

I am starting a simple business of selling baked goods, but I live in one city, and plan to sell my goods in another city about 45 minutes away albeit in the same state. Does this create complications?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

You may need a business license to "operate" the business where you are making things and a business license to sell things somewhere else, i.e., a local "peddler's license". We can only guess, since you give no clue as to which municipality you're talking about. Your local business lawyers will be glad to help you.

As mentioned by others (although you didn't ask), there are certainly going to be OTHER licenses involved in making, packaging, labeling and selling food to the pubic, which also vary by location (among other circumstances). For instance, you might make baked goods in a home kitchen for sale at a local farmers' market, within limits, without any "health department" licenses, in some states, and subject to different packaging and labeling rules than if you're selling to other retail distributors.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

Tax-wise - yes but, not insurrmoutable. License-wise - get it where you plan to do business.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

From where you live and bake the goods. You don't need a licence in every city you send them to.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

It might. Start with the health departments both places to find out requirements. You'll probably need to rent a commercial kitchen

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Laws and licensing depend on country and often local laws on environmental /health and hygene so research your local area of what is required and even if you can do what you plan to do as you do not state if this is 'home'based or you have a fully compliant commerical facility

• Bernd
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Not sure, but you may to be licensed by local health department and use a commercial grade kitchen also.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

It would be where your business is located, where you make the product.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.