:) asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 7 months ago

Is it possible to replace an exterior door with a sheet of plastic?

I have an exterior door that has needed to be replaced twice already due to rot. I don't want a steel door since the're expensive and wooden doors won't last so I want to see if its possible to replace it with a sheet of plastic.

Does anyone have anything similar or knows a cheap way to replace an exterior door?

Get a vinyl or fiberglass door. Neither rot nor need painting.

Fix the leak and use whatever extetior door you like.

A sheet of plastic provides no security, privacy or durablity.

• james

You can build a good door from pvc pipe. With pvc bars in it for security. & screen wire in it. They are rot & ant proof. You still need a plastic interior door. I see these in the tropics were both ants & moisture do in wood doors fast.

rot implies wood,,old heavy wooden oak doors, if one corner or surface is a bit falling out,can be filled with wood putty,water based wood putty,colored to match at the home depot paint mixing station

water is the number one wood rotter,keep it away from the door area so it runs off,

a great wood preservative and sealer,,insect repelling is linseed oil mixed with turpentine,,,,,, old heavy wood doors are usually prized as artifacts

a plastic sheet is useless.

post a pic of the door & the threshold,might be informative to the problem.

Where is the door rotting? A sheet of plastic is the weirdest thing I ever heard.

1st buy a Fiberglass door and order Framesaver or PVC Jambs. Fiberglass doesnt dent or rot either. Make sure you have a drip cap on top of the exterior brick moulding caulk paint and seal.

Boom. Done.

Fiberglass w PVC jambs should be no more than 400$

Wood doors without proper overhang do not have a warranty. So I am assuming you either have no overhang or only a 12" overhang.

• Bryan

Clearly something is going on with the location of that door. I think you would perhaps be money ahead to find out why this door keeps rotting and fix that problem. Sounds like it might be a drainage issue. Maybe need an eaves trough over the door?

See if you have a Habitat for Humanity store in your area. They sell new and used home items for very discounted prices. You may find a good used metal door there that you can afford.

The plastic sheet provides ZERO security, will need replaced FAR more often, and won't cost much less than a wooden door. The wooden door will last AT LEAST a decade if properly sealed.

Note: You can get a normal sized exterior steel door for under $200.

A wooden door certainly should last for a number of years, particularly if properly sealed (varnish type of things etc).

I have two external solid wood doors and they are years old (one at least 15) with no sign of rotting.

• drip

We put a storm door on our back door to help with all the rain and snow that hits it.

because of the need to provide reasonable mechanical security, there is no cheap and easy way to replace an exterior door. The door MUST be hard -- and that means either solid wood or metal. Cheapest is probably a sandwich metal door -- metal front and back, sandwiched around a non-metal core.

And yes, even those cost hundreds

Source(s): grampa