How to pick out the right cat?

I'm getting an apartment soon, and living on my own. I really want to get a cat because I love cats and it wouldn't be so lonely. Thing is, most of the family cats we had growing up, were so timid and scared of everything. I want a cat that's super chill and likes to lay with you, and lets you pet and... show more I'm getting an apartment soon, and living on my own. I really want to get a cat because I love cats and it wouldn't be so lonely. Thing is, most of the family cats we had growing up, were so timid and scared of everything. I want a cat that's super chill and likes to lay with you, and lets you pet and hold them. So are there any tips when looking for a good cat? It would suck if I got a cat that hated me and never let me pet him/her and all that. I'd be living on my own with no people, or any other animals if that helps
Update: Update: Thank you all for your kind and helpful words! The apartment I'm going to lease does allow pets. Also my parents have been recommending a therapy cat for me, so I will go to my local shelters and talk to some people. I'm very excited as I love cats so much and can't wait! Cheers