Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 year ago

Do you have to talk to neighbors in apartment living? Does keeping to yourself affect lease renewal?

• 1 year ago

No you don't have to talk to anyone. It's nice to be friendly with your neighbors but it's not going to affect a lease renewal

• 1 year ago

You don't "have to" talk to anyone but polite small talk in the laundry room or getting the mail is expected or people will think you're snotty.

• Me
    1 year ago

It never hurts to be friendly, say hello when you see them. But your neighbors do not have to become your friends.

The more important thing is that you treat them and your apartment with respect. No loud parties. No yelling at all hours. Keep the tv and music volumes to a respectable level.

• Lita
    1 year ago

Talking to your neighbors or not talking to your neighbors does not affect lease renewal. There's nothing wrong in keeping to yourself. When I lived in an apartment I was friendly with my neighbors, polite with my neighbors in that I would say hello, how are you etc.. but I rarely stopped to chat and only had a few neighbors that I felt the need to allow more into my life.

• 1 year ago

no, that has nothing to do with it, its up to you if you want to talk to thern or not, theres sorne in rnine i dont want to talk to

• 1 year ago

You don't 'have to' talk to them, but most people find it makes for a more pleasant environment if they say at least smile and say 'Hi' when they pass someone on the stairs.

• Jerry
    1 year ago

IMO it's good to be good "fence neighbors" with everyone, "porch neighbors" with some, and "kitchen neighbors" with a very few. Of course this metaphor is about people who live in houses, not apartments, but same idea.

• drip
    1 year ago

The company/ office that runs the apartment complex doesn’t care who you are friends with. It doesn’t matter if you talk to your neighbors or don’t.

• R K
    1 year ago

no. there is nothing in your lease that says you have to interact with the other tenants.

• 1 year ago

If you talk to your neighbors you'll be politely asked to leave