Gray Matter Question?

Ok so I have a friend who mentioned that he has a syndrome where he was born without ANY gray matter in his brain. His mother confirmed this, but to me it just seems impossible??? ????? I dont really understand what gray matter is and if it's possible to live without it. What syndrome would cause this anyway?... show more Ok so I have a friend who mentioned that he has a syndrome where he was born without ANY gray matter in his brain. His mother confirmed this, but to me it just seems impossible??? ????? I dont really understand what gray matter is and if it's possible to live without it. What syndrome would cause this anyway? His mother mentioned some other unique things about my friend, he has heart problems, eye problems, no sense of smell, and he wears hearing aids. He has also had a tracheotomy. I myself noticed his skin looks very strange, and the most unique thing is that he is an adult man who's never reached puberty. I know he does have a learning disability (back when we first met he was 18 and doing 4th grade work). To me, he seems like an average adult man, who has learning problems. When he and his mother mentioned the gray matter problem, I was very fascinated that a human could live without it. Is this a common thing? Did I misunderstand what they told me? What is this disability called? I do not want to ask him or his mother, as I do not want to sound impolite, but I am very curious about such a disorder.
2 answers 2