Nah asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 8 months ago

Motorcycle tires wearing abnormally fast?

I've got a 1980 Suzuki gs750e cafe racer. I threw a set of IRCs on it when I first started riding it just because I had them laying around. I knew these were a cheap tire and didn't expect much. Within about 650 miles, the back tire was completely toast, I'm not talking down to the wear bar, it was a slick. (I ride fairly aggressively on backroads, but never do burnouts or anything like that) but the tire was just squared off. (I run 28 psi in the front 32 in the rear) got a replacement (cant remember the brand) and the exact same thing happened. I almost exclusively ride on twisty back roads but it looked like I'd just sat there and roasted the back tire off in a burnout. So finally I asked a local cafe builder what tires he runs in his bikes. So I got a set front and rear of the bridgestone spitfires. I'm about 350 miles in and the rear is just about to hit the wear bar. I have friends with sportbikes that only carve canyons getting thousands out of their tires. Haven't even put 2k miles on the bike and I'm just about thru my 3rd rear. So my question is. Could this just be a result of riding it hard? Or is there something that I'm just doing wrong?

• rob m

LOL thats FUNNY, its related to the throttle how fast its turned to wide open everytime you take off. how hard you bank into turns wearing the sides of the tires, and how hard you stop, or downshift to come to a halt, ,,,

Those old skool bikes are relatively easy on their tyres. Check;

Wheel alignment

Wheel balance

Speed and load rating - Make sure your tyres are H-rated or better. I know the US bikes used different model names to the rest of the world, but if you have the standard 8-valve road bike (not cruiser), the tyre should be 120/90-H18 (Load rating 65) at 36psi (2.5Bar) cold. Look for 120/90-18 H 65 or similar moulded on the side wall. If it says V instead of H that's OK too. The mix up occurs because new bikes that use this tyre are lightweights (S or T rated) and it's possible to buy tyres of the correct physical size but completely the wrong application.

• Tim D

Squaring off a tyre that fast indicates that the pressure is not correct.

I would also look at the suspension.

• Riding hard will wear tires rapidly, but I see people go more miles than that on a racetrack. Your tire pressures sound low, low pressures increase tire wear and operating temperature. You should also lean more on the front brake. Wheel alignment may well be out too. It would have to be seriously out of alignment to wear the tire that quickly by itself, but correct that and you'll also see better handling and grip as well.

• Ian K

Do you use your rear brake when slowing/stopping?

Are your wheels built with the wrong dish?

Have you checked rear alignment?

• Tim D

In the 70s and 80s adjuster marks were notoriously inaccurate, we used to use two lengths of angle iron to check that the wheels were actually aligned.

Think both the front and rear tire pressure is too low, boost it up to 30+ front 34+ rear. to see if that improves the wear factor.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs.

Yes and maybe a heavier bike and rider combination is a contributing factor.