Hunter
Hunter asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 year ago

Because Psience?

I’ve been watching Kyle Hill's, Because Science, show a lot lately; a show which tries to explain the real science behind much science fiction— like how much energy a real Death Star would need to blow up a planet, how much energy would a light saber produce, how does adamantium work, etc. But Kyle Hill tends to get hinky when it comes to stuff like chi, psi, telepathy, telekinesis, et al in science fiction. Or in real life.

When I was about 15, I was in a book store when a row of five or six books jumped off of the shelf onto the floor. Some lady standing beside told me, “Somebody is trying to tell you something,” but that sorta thing, bent forks, suddenly shattered paintings, and the like has happened a lot over the years. Later on I was wondering about the physics and math of that kind of incident; whether you believe in telekinesis (Wolfgang Pauli did) or not, it takes force and energy to move a bunch of books. So as a thought experiment in paraphysics for people who can do the math so much better than I, roughly how much energy (Newtons or Joules) is needed to knock a half-dozen of average-sized books off of a shelf. Even if Kyle Hill refuses to recognize TK force, don’t the usual physics formulas apply?

• 1 year ago

You are wise. Yes, of course all the laws of physics apply. I noticed how you wrote that books "jumped off the shelf" when I would say they "fell off the shelf".

Those books had gravitational potential energy while on the shelf. Their energy is lower on the floor. Things go toward lower potential energy. Another words, things fall. Those books were just barely balanced on the edge of the shelf. So the tiniest amount of energy can make them fall off. That could be your footsteps or your hand or a tiny breeze.

There is nothing paranormal here. If the books rose up to the ceiling, that would be paranormal. Did you ever see that happen?

• Hunter
      1 year agoReport

I just love how skeptics bend over backwards to deny real events that don't play by the established rules. No true scientists here. Pity....

1 year ago

The 'usual physics formula' can be applied but that doesn't mean no physical laws are violated.

You can calculate how much energy must be transfrrerred, but if there is no mechanism to transfer the energy the calculation is pointless.

There is a huge fortune awaiting anyone who can demonstrate (say) telekinesis under rigorously controlled conditions No one has yet done it - you might want to ask why.

• Hunter
      1 year agoReport

as to assume that no one in seven billion people has no psi abilities at all? That's not skepticism; that's stupidity.