How much sugar should I add to mashed strawberries?

I know it's basically personal taste, but I'd like a starting point.

So, for a quart of strawberries, how much sugar would you add?

Thanks!

Update:

I plan to use them on ice cream or for strawberry shortcakes.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • ted
    Lv 5
    8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I would start with one-quarter cup of sugar and add more as needed

• 7 months ago

None.

• 8 months ago

I am not sure. Lol.

• Shon
    Lv 4
    8 months ago

If you are preparing it for a diabetic patient then the sugar quantity should be low as they don't need much.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

For a quart of strawberries, I'd add 1/2 cup sugar to start, and go from there.

Having a little extra sugar is not a problem when used on ice cream or shortcake.

• 8 months ago

Taste them first.

Are they sweet or tart?

If they are sweet then you would not have to add any if you don't want to, if they are real tart add a bit and see how you like it.

If you are adding them to ice cream you almost do not need any added sugar. For short cakes if you make your shortcake sweet use less or no sugar in the strawberries.

I am guessing you will be whipping cream and you will sweeten that or the stuff from the can or tub, they are sweet

I tend to like the flavor of the strawberries and do not like them overly sweet.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

How sweet are the strawberries? Sometimes I add sugar, sometimes I don't. Give them a taste and see what you think.

• 8 months ago

None. And don’t mash them for gods sake.

Sliced, perhaps a large dice, but don’t destroy the delicate, perfumed beauty of strawberries by mashing them.

For ice cream or any other type of dessert, rinse and cut them up immediately before using them. The sweetness of the ice cream or other elements of your dessert will be set off by the slightly tart berries.

• 8 months ago

My mom always did the pint to a 1/4 cup ratio, so for every pint, she'd add a fourth cup to them. You can always add scant (a little less than) and go up from there, if you wish. She would do this to make a kind of easy strawberry sauce to on top of desserts without the hassle of a stove or cooking.

• 8 months ago

It depends on what you are doing with them, but Strawberries are naturally already fairly sweet, so I'd say for a quart I'd do 2 tablespoons and then go from there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.