Is there something wrong with me if all I do is think about painting?

I’m in my late 20’s and am going through a rough patch in my life. I’m an introvert and I have a hard making let alone keeping new friends. Plus I just go to work and come straight home everyday. I have tried to take on new hobbies and go out more like going to the gym and taking kickboxing. One day I started watching Bob Ross painting tutorials and I am not sure when it started but something inside of me wanted to start painting too.

I went out purchased my first set of painting supplies and began painting. At first, I got a bit discouraged because my paintings were coming out looking horrible. I just really wanted to produce one successful painting before calling it quits. then one day I did and then I produced another and another and another. It got to the point I was making 3 paintings a day ( it varied in quality). Now all I think about is painting. Sometimes I am at work and I keep looking at other people’s art paintings online and looking for photos to get inspiration for my next painting. It’s to the point where I feel painting defines me. It also makes me happy to see that I can create something. My skills are also growing very quickly. Mind you I started painting in March. Yesterday I compared my most recent painting to my current one and I have grown a lot in different areas. Someone else also noticed the same thing that my skills are improving rapidly. Is there something wrong with me?

I even woke up at 6am today so I get started on my next painting.

I should add that I do have interest in the arts in general. I studied theatre in college and took acting classes outside and auditioned for role. I even played the piano at one point and did some photography here and there. However, this medium is different. I’m obsessed with it compared to my interest in theatre and music. It’s like a door opened in my brain and I lose track of time so easilY. It feels like there isn’t enough time in the day to paint. Lastly, I work in the sciences as an admin

Wow that awesome. I'm a musician and always wished I could paint.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with you. Painting is a great activity that can help relieve stress and help you to get your mind off of things. I think it’s a creative and healthy way to express yourself!

yeah, you should be spending more time on twitter and facebook...what’s wrong with you?

I guess what your question points to is to the fact that painting has become a burning passion for you.

In one way, it s a great thing having such an intense passion for something. People who find a "call" of that kind never get bored. And there are no doubts about "vocation" and that stuff. That in itself, it s a piece of luck that many people don t have (look at how many questions in YA, for example, are about "what to do with my life", "how to find my passion", etc). You have that part figured out. You have something you tend to naturally.

Having such a "flame" is a great "fuel" for your life (answers the eternal question "why do you wake up every morning?"). Just a word of caution: as with all "flames", it must be handled with care, there is a risk that it "consumes" you. You have to manage it, protect it, develop it, but also keep an eye on the least-important-things (all the rest), so that they leave you alone to do what you really like.

I speak from my experience because I have a similar love/obsession relation with music...

The paint all around me still 40 years later the trees oh the trees the paint oh the paint

We are geared to our interests. Painting is yours. I say go for it. Nothing is wrong with you. Enjoy your passion. By the way. I'm that way too. I'm into my hobbies. I know quite a few people like that too.

That is awesome.

Maybe we'll have a new Picasso.

Lucky you. You found a friend in painting. There is nothing wrong with you, but I'd still allocate time to socialize and exercise. Take a painting class or two as a way to meet like minded people and further improve your skills.

No! That's honestly amazing holy cow. I love drawing myself and since I don't feel motivated, I just pass it on as some art block lol. If it begins to interfere with your life (Like you lose sleep or skip meals just to paint), then yes there is something wrong. If you balance the time you paint, your needs, and work, then you're good to go and there's nothing wrong with you. Being introverted isn't necessarily a bad thing. Have you thought about taking art classes? Not only do you get to paint and do art, you can make friends doing that too. Keep up the great work man!

Absolutely nothing is wrong with you. Hitler used to be the same.