Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 9 months ago

Can an employer ask these questions during a job interview?

He was asked why his email address was what it was, what his friend's jobs were and where they live, why he left one of his previous jobs, why he was laid off at another, where he sees himself in five years, what his favorite subject was in school, if he had depression (he is clinically depressed and has been for the past twenty years or so and has been suicidal for months now), if he was ever angry, what his history teacher would say about him, if he believed in luck, and a bunch of random personal questions that had absolutely nothing to do with work. The interviewer also kept trying to make him feel uncomfortable and was very rude with him, but not the other applicants who were being interviewed while he was there.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

It seems to me he crossed the line with a few of the questions, in particular the question about depression. Also, what kind of an interview is conducted in front of other candidates? I've never had an interview in the presence of other candidates. I don't think I'd want to work for this employer.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

well that is normally the interviewer questions

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Most of them are just chatting to see if little snowflakes possess any actual brain cells.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Shut up Troll.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Some of the questions were prob used purposely and are acceptable if he’s looking for someone with goals and a favorable work record. Info about his friends and their location isn’t. Nor is the question about depression, though it seems the issue may have been apparent at the interview. Still he should’ve kept that perception to himself.

• Liar
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

The only question you listed that an interviewer may not ask is the one about depression, as you cannot inquire about a person's medical history or needs.

Aside from that, interviewers want to throw you off. They want to see how you respond on the fly. While conducting interviews, I have asked questions ranging from asking them to describe someone they once bullied, to 'Kirk vs. Picard', and even whether they thought they could beat me in arm wrestling. It all may seem nonsensical, but the idea is that these are questions a candidate would not of rehearsed for and so you can get a real judge of their character.

Onto your last statement, generally interviews are not conducted in direct sight of others, so I would not see how your friend would be aware of this. Plus, as you said, the friend lives with depression, so more than likely they saw the interviewer as being opposed to them only in their head. People with depression are like that. In reality I'm sure the interviewer was indifferent.

• Robert
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

An employer can generally ask questions pertaining to the job. If it requires keeping calm and working with the public in a high pressure environment, they can put you in a position to see how you react under pressure. They might ask questions about an email (which you had given them) to assess character if there might be something questionable about it. The can ask general questions about friends and hobbies and work history. The depression and medical questions might be questionable. The random personal questions might be to determine character, but might be questionable. Whether they were more rude or making an applicant feel more uncomfortable than another is subjective unless you were in the room at other interviews. Having said that, a lot of rules change depending on the job. A safety sensitive position like a pilot might allow and even require investigation into depression and other medical issues. So everything is relative to the position sought and the circumstances of what the work requirements will be.

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

they can ask all they want it doesn't mean you have too answer any of them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.