Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 8 months ago

Are reverse cameras and sensores of cars really reliable?

Of course I'm talking about the cameras and sensors that come with the car itself, not the ones you buy for them separately but the stock ones.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

They work reliably and are useful for seeing if a child, dog, is behind you when backing. If you have poor rear view they will also tell you if a clueless pedestrian is walking behind your backing car in a parking lot. The one in my wife's car is particularly good for seeing how far the car is from a barrier.

They are useless for backing itself because of the distorted view and narrow viewing angle.

• 7 months ago

Some of them are high quality and these are reliable. However, even you buy a separate one, it may not be good as the in-built one.

• don r
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

They work like they should, and you should not rely only on them. You still need to turn your head to look all around for safety.

• Linda
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Reliable but NOT safe.....especially those who only allow you to drive in one lane - this mode fails to allow you to change lanes and that's a HUGE safety issue.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Nothing is better than the old stop and look before you move.

• FlagMichael
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Doing a walk-around is always a good idea. When I worked at an electric utility it was a job requirement.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Sure they are. My dad's brand new Audi A6 even has a top view, like a helicopter is looking down on the car. It's really weird.

• 8 months ago

You are not supposed to rely on them. They are an aid, not a replacement for good driving, looking at mirrors and checking blind spots.

• 8 months ago

Yes. They have worked very well on the last three cars I've had and now I won't buy a car without it.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

If the driver uses them properly, yes.

• Jeff
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Unless your eyes aren’t reliable I don’t see how a camera in this case could be unreliable.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.