Chase asked in SportsCycling · 8 months ago

Am I biking too much?

During the week I'm biking 30 minutes each day. 15 minutes one way to commute to work and back, but on the weekend I'm riding recreationally and doing 55 miles a day Saturday and Sunday. Which is like 3 hours a day cycling.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

IMHO...there's no such thing as too much cycling. Or, as Eddy Merckx said...

Attachment image
  • DIEGO.
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

i like this sport!

• D50
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Are you spending so much time riding that other things don't get done? If yes, then maybe you're riding too much.

• 8 months ago

I did that 30 years ago when I was 35. No problem.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • David
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Your commute is nothing to worry about. Hardly a warm-up.

Your weekend rides might be worth considering.

While entirely doable, and IMO not immediately harmful, your schedule is probably not ideal for performance gains.

• 8 months ago

You actually didn't give very useful information.

Is your bike the right kind of bicycle for the type of riding you wish to do?

Is the bicycle the correct frame size and has been adjusted to best fit you? Here's a good frame size calculator.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/f...

Do you know how to shift efficiently? Being in a gear that's too easy or too hard to maintain a 70-90 cadence means you're in the wrong gear

Do you know how to shift to the next higher or lower ratio with the fewest moves and least resistance?

Do you use a bicycle computer with a heart rate monitor and cadence meter on it?

Do you use a starting gear?

If you've answered yes to these questions you can ride even more. If you've answered no to most of these questions you could be doing more harm than good to your body.

Source(s): Motorized bicycle owner and builder.
  • Jon
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Nothing wrong with it unless you are finding your knees often get sore or stiff, in which case it might be an idea to seek advice.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.