Do you think the boycotting of the Sydney pub who made a Jesus joke is proportional?

Mary’s Newtown Pub made an Easter joke on social media, “Jesus got hammered for his sins, so can you!” It has caused a massive backlash online with randoms saying they will boycott it. The Orthodox Christianity Facebook page encourage all their followers to attack the pub’s social media accounts. Can no one take a joke anymore?

• Fred

I think there are some things you should be careful about making fun of. The joke was of extreme bad judgement and they were lucky some over the top Christian did not throw a petrol bomb through their front window. Jesus was a very decent man who taught people to care and love each other and does not deserve to be made fun of by ignorant publicans whose drinks cause drunkenness, fighting, accidents, early death, and wife bashing. Hopefully their business dropped after that sick bit of publicity.

SHAMEFUL, I would never go back to this place or acknowledge its existence.

if ya cant joke about minority groups./..well ya cant joke about the creator ..simple as that...…

~ very strange how you attack aussies ~ must be a real reason behind all your complaints about aussies

Jokes are meant to be funny, this was just stupid. Can't wait for their Ramadan jokes in getting more hammered

The Newtown Hotel was a gay pub until recently and still attracts a young crowd including gays so I really don't think a boycott from a group of Orthodox Christians is going to bother them in the slightest.

• Dj2541

For Gods sake!!!!! This is Australia, thats the sort of joking that we do ?? its called being irreverent ????

Isnt it just Free Speech the same as Isreal Folul did

Ohh thats right it only applies one when when you are dealing with right wing bigots

• Half Drawn Boy

All gays will burn in the fire of hell. That's not very funny or nice is it?

Yes . I boycott everything in Newtown the place is full of Greens voters and weirdos that often look like this

A massive backlash? I never heard a thing about it, the Otherthadox Christianity Facebook page? gee that carries some weight.

The people that will boycott it are people that would never go there in the first place, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I think you're right though, no one seems to be able to take a joke these days.

I'm sure the sun will rise tomorrow. (gee if I wrote that line on Saturday it would have been a pun)

• old timer

you'll be fine as long as Israel Folau doesn't see it.

No, I don't think it's proportional, but Christians don't really have a sense of humor, so I'm not surprised.