What happens if a lightning bolt hits a airplane in air?
- Ralph TLv 77 months agoBest Answer
Usually,it just passes along the "skin" of the airplane and completes its journey to a grounding point (either another cloud or to the earth) with little or no damage. It is rare for lightning to cause a plane to crash or explode in mid air.
- M JohnsonLv 67 months ago
- DIEGO.Lv 77 months ago
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Donnie PorkoLv 77 months ago
Nothing really. The plane is made from aluminum which is a conductor so the lightning just goes off the plane. Electrical equipments are grounded. Fuel tank are made with material that will prevent any sparks.
It’s rare for a plane to be taken down by lightning. Wind, hail, well that’s a whole different story.
- flyingtiggerukLv 77 months ago
- Anonymous7 months ago
That's what happened to that Malaysian flight
- rusty111fireLv 47 months ago
The plane could catch fire
- ioerrLv 77 months ago
it happens a lot and they're generally ok. it passes around the skin and exits out the other side